Data Protection by Design
Data Protection by Design compels organizations to consider data protection requirements throughout the lifecycle of any service, product or process. Typically this results in:
- incorporating appropriate technical and organizational measures
- implementing data protection principles
- integrating necessary safeguards into processing activities
To ensure – and be able to prove – an organization is compliant with the GDPR’s Data Protection by Design requirements, it needs to consider and document a few key aspects:
- Targets of Evaluation: determine the scope of the Data Protection by Design project
- Data Protection Principles: check if the Data Protection Principles are applied to the project
- Data Protection Impact Assessment: discover the risks to the rights and freedoms of the Data Subjects affected by the project
- Data Protection by Design: document how data protection has been taken into account from the start of the project, and how it is being handled now
Challenges of Data Protection by Design
We’ve noticed with most of our customers that the challenges regarding Data Protection by Design are mostly caused by difficulties in collaborating with colleagues outside of the privacy team and project management.
Privacy teams spend hours to try to locate the correct and most recent information, as it is usually spread out across different colleagues in different departments. However, the hardest challenge is usually following up on projects.
Once a legal / privacy advice has been made out to the organization, it needs to be implemented properly. Due to everyone’s high workload though, it’s extremely hard to keep track of everything going on, and ensuring organizations remain compliant – not just on policy level, but also in execution.
Data Protection by Design in RESPONSUM
As collaboration is one of the key values in RESPONSUM, our platform stimulates teamwork between the privacy teams and other departments in various ways:
- Ask direct feedback from anyone in the organization
- Set up recurring review intervals
- Delegate tasks to team members
Furthermore, as RESPONSUM keeps track of business processes, IM systems, which employees process which data etc., you’ll have most of the necessary information at hand. Having all that information on a centralized platform ensures you spend less time researching and chasing the latest state of affairs, so you can focus on the actual privacy challenges.
Want to find out how much time your privacy team could save?
Reach out to us!